There has been a church on the site for about 1000 years.
The porch has a memorial stained glass window of 1904 in the west wall, in memory of Jessie Florence Hall. It depicts an angel robed in a red dalmatic, the vestment of a deacon. On either side of the baptistery are two stained glass windows inserted in 2000 and presented in memory of Neville Burston (1929-1999) by his wife Marlene Burston. Neville Burston was born and raised in Hampstead, and was an Alderman of the City of London (for the ward of Farringdon Within) 1971-76. The windows are by Alan Davis of Lythe, Yorkshire.
Between the two windows, in a semicircular recess stands a stone font on four colonettes of green marble. The font, regrettably covered with white paint many years ago, dates from 1898 and the brass plate on its plinth amusingly records that it was given by ‘the children of the parish’. Presumably they were deprived of their pocket money for several weeks!
Along the north and south walls are representations of the Stations of the Cross. On the wall of the easternmost bay of the north aisle, is a stone memorial listing the names of those from the parish who died on active service during the First World War. It was dedicated in 1921. An oak plaque commemorates those who died in the Second World War.
The statue of Christ was presented to the church in 1997 and dedicated on Ascension Day that year by the Bishop of Edmonton. It was made about 1900 by the Bavarian company of Mayer of Munich, who were famous for the high quality church furnishings that they produced throughout the 19th century.
The statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, dating from the early 20th century was given to Emmanuel in 2011 by the Sisters of the Benedictine Community of St Mary at the Cross at Edgware Abbey when they moved into their newly converted Convent.