Sitting literally underneath the legs of the old Briton Ferry Bridge which carries the A48.
A grant to help fund work to prevent water penetration in the spire and the tower which was damaging the church areas below. The scope of the proposed work included re-pointing of the spire, rebuilding of the badly decayed brick parapets, along with their lead flashings, and general repairs where the tower meets the spire. A medieval church originally existed on the site of St Michael's to which a west tower was added in 1660. The brick spire was added in 1835. The nave, south aisle, and chancel were rebuilt in the 1850's and are the work of notable architect John Pritchard. The Parish of Cwmafan contains the village of Cwmafan and the nearby village of Pontrhydyfen, famous as the birth place of Richard Burton. St Michael's is the only remaining Church in Wales church in the parish. The church and its spire are a beautiful landmark in the centre of the village of Cwmafan, which has outlived its industrial past and is a thriving village and community.