Consecrated 1907, known as the Arts & Crafts Cathedral of the north.
The church, dedicated in 1869, was built to the designs attributed to RJ Johnson in the Early English Style. The original building which is constructed of local magnesium limestone, provided a nave, chancel with apsidal east end and vestry to the north, with an entrance porch on the nave south side. An external architectural feature is the timber hexagonal fleche with open bell chamber which sits centrally above the chancel arch.
In 1907, the south aisle was added and from 1912 to 1920 oak panelling and choir stalls were installed and marble floors in the chancel. The three chancel windows are by James Eadie-Reid. They are technically very interesting, revealing an experimental attitude to the craft of stained glass. They depict the feeding of the five thousand, the changing of water into wine and the transfiguration of Christ.
The War Memorial windows at the west end were unveiled in 1948. The left window left shows St Michael sheathing his sword having overcome evil. In the right window the ascended Christ blesses this victory. At the feet of Christ are Flanders poppies. This window also shows the 'crown' emblem of All Saints and the St Cuthbert's Cross of Durham. These were amongst the early work of Leonard Evetts. The colourful Good Shepherd window can be found on the west wall of the church, just inside the main entrance. The window was created by Leonard Evetts and is amongst his latter pieces.
The painting which dominates the chancel is entitled the Transformation Scene. Preliminary sketches for the murals were exhibited in London and attracted wide interest. Painted in 1966 by Michael Hoare, the murals depict the crucified and enthroned Christ flanked by angels. The spandrel paintings on the south side of the nave are by James Eadie-Reid. They depict Jesus' agony in the garden of Gethsemane, the resurrection and an angel appearing to Mary at the empty tomb. In the south aisle hang three framed paintings depicting the same subjects which were used to provide the PCC with an indication of the finished pieces.