Established and built in 1829, the chapel is built in the simple Arts & Crafts and vernacular style.
The initial moves towards its foundation were made by the local Welsh ruler, Maredudd ap Madoc ab Idnerth, in 1143, but he was killed in 1146 and the area was reconquered by the Normans. His son Cadwallon reclaimed the kingdom and refounded the abbey in 1176. It was here that the mangled remains of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, last Welsh prince of Wales, were buried in 1282.
Five of the nave bays have been preserved in the parish church at Llanidloes since 1540.