St Peter and St Paul
A church has been present on the site since the early 12th Century. Following a major fire in 1731 which destroyed the entire town of Blandford Forum including the medieval church, the church of St Peter and St Paul was rebuilt to a design by John and William Bastard, noted local architects and builders, and re-opened in 1739. The original plans included a spire, but due to lack of funds a ‘temporary’ cupola was erected instead. Over time the interior has been adapted to suit the changing needs of worship. The church is the centrepiece of perhaps one of the best surviving Georgian Market towns.
Having completed the repair and the restoration of the church’s tower and cupola, the church is now turning their attention to the second major phase of the restoration and repair of the whole church building which will repair the roofs, high level masonry and internal plasterwork. The plain tiled nave and transept roofs will be lifted and re-laid retaining as many of the original handmade clay tiles as possible. At the apse, the removal of the roof will allow essential access to the rear of the fine coffered plastered ceiling. New timberwork will be introduced and the plasterwork re-secured.