A church at Sibthorpe existed at the time of the Domesday Book in 1086. The earliest fabric is now found in the west tower, rubble stone erected in the thirteenth century. Some windows date from the fourteenth century, as well as the chancel which has a beautiful east window and an Easter Sepulchre. The richness of the work is due to the foundation of a College of Chantry Priests here in 1324 – later suppressed by Henry VIII.
The project will make the building flexible for community use by installing an accessible toilet with changing facilities, a servery, and a mezzanine floor in the tower. St Peter’s is the only community building in the village, but has no running water or toilet currently. The new facilities will enable St Peter’s to be able to hold more events, including mother and toddler groups, coffee mornings, yoga, and concerts and recitals. Future possibilities include a farmers’ market and theatre groups. The nearest local pub has recently closed, so they are also planning a pub night!