St James and All Saints
St James was designed by Sampson Kempthorne in1835, and was built 1837-41. A simple ashlar rectangle, in E.E. style, the nave is broad and undivided, with typical open tie-beam roof. The Wallers’ aisle, part lean-to, part cross gabled, has a four-bay timber arcade; they also inserted a tripartite timber arch to divide off the sanctuary.
Currently the building is at significant risk of rain-water damage. Since the quinquennial inspection they have needed to use buckets to catch water leaking through. The work will replace the roof to the boiler room; repair timber trims to gables and eaves and redecorate; repair any other high level timber components accessible during roof works; overhaul rainwater gutters and downpipes; clear out gullies and clear drains if required; and repair high level masonry accessible during roof works.