Dedicated to the Celtic saint St David, there has been a religious site at Blaenporth since before 1066. The first building would have been made of wood, wattle, and plaster. There are close links to Gruffydd ap Rhys in the twelfth century. The present building is from 1865, a Victorian Grade II listed building. It is a very good example of the work of RJ Withers. Alban Thomas, curate here from 1722-1740, was the author of one of the first books to be published by the first permanent printed press in Wales, at Adpar, Newcastle Emlyn.
St David’s Church will reorder the interior of the church to create flexible community space, much needed as there is no other public building in the village. This includes removal of pews to create a less restrictive space, installation of toilets, improvements to the kitchen, and connection to the mains water supply. Currently water has to be carried into the church every week. The heating and lighting will also be upgraded so they are more efficient.
The church will be able to offer activities for groups of all ages, reaching out to the elderly and isolated, and also young families as there is no public play area for children in the village. IT facilities will also provide opportunities to upskill members of the community.