St. Bride's Roman Catholic Church
St Bride's Roman Catholic Church has been hailed as an amazing piece of contemporary ecclesiastical architecture and received the RIBA bronze medal for architecture in 1964, for the area of the Glasgow Institute of Architects. The church, including Presbytery and Ancillary Buildings, is a Category 'A' Listed Gillespie, Kidd and Coia Church in East Kilbride, completed 1963-64. The church is a Scottish interpretation of the brutalist style of 1960's architecture and is one of the finest buildings to be produced by one of the most influential Scottish practices of the era. St Bride's is the 'Mother Church' in East Kilbride, the first New Town to be designated in Scotland in 1947, the same year that the Diocese of Motherwell was founded. In 2013 St Bride's Church was named in the top 3 of the Best Modern Churches architecture competition run by the National Churches Trust, the Ecclesiastical Architects and Surveyor's Association and the 20th Century Society. The church was picked out from over 200 entries UK-wide and is the only church in Scotland to make the 3 places of worship judged to be the best sacred places built in the last 60 years - St Bride's taking home the National Churches bronze award.