The first recorded church on the site was in 1291, but the present building was built in the 14th and 15th centuries. Many medieval features have survived, including a font, pulpit and imposing rood screen. The church’s tower contains what is thought to be the heaviest peal of six bells in the world.
The project will replace ageing lead on the roof which has become worn and cracked. The lead on the nave roof is 150 years old, while the lead on the tower is even more ancient, dating back to 1753. The work will stop water from coming through and damaging the roof timbers, and will prevent harm to the bells’ support structure.