The Minster Church of St Michael and All Angels and St Benedict Biscop
Sunderland Minster has origins in the late thirteenth century, although the first church on this site was built in 900 AD. By 1806, it consisted of a west tower, arcaded nave, and narrow north and south aisles. Transepts were added in 1849-50 by Dobson, with deep galleries. The church was re-planned and enlarged by architect W.D. Caroe in 1933-35.
The project will tackle the urgent structural works to the church. The north aisle lead roof is corroded and has poor quality lead covering, and the parapet gutters are leaking. The roof and gutters will be replaced, and the roof will be insulated. High level stonework repairs and repointing will be carried out. The tower stonework is flaking, with water damage. Urgent repairs and conservation will be carried out.
With the completion of the work, the building will be watertight. The historic William Morris window will also be protected. Insulation and better lighting will reduce energy bills. With the building in good repair, plans for community uses can go ahead. Future plans for developing the use of the building continue, supported by a newly established and re-launched ‘Friends of the Minster’ and working with cultural and artistic initiatives which are now live in the city.