Malton Methodist Church
The first Methodist Church was established in Old Maltongate, Malton, and John Wesley preached there during the 1770s. Having outgrown this place, Methodists had a vision to establish the present church building in Saville Street; designed by the itinerant Methodist Minister and architect, William Jenkins, around the square auditory format. It opened in 1811.
The 'new' church was built by public subscription, including with the help of the 4th Earl Fitzwilliam. It sits in the heart of the market town of Malton. The church is Grade II* listed, and is one of just 41 such listed buildings in the Methodist connexion. As a result of the structural issue with the roof, the church has been necessarily closed on safety grounds. The roof repairs will enable the church to re-open again for worship and other purposes, and will be available for the community to use.