Fairhaven United Reformed Church
Although officially Fairhaven United Reformed Church, this church is known locally as The White Church. This amazing grade II* building designed by Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornley opened in 1912 and was built in an early Christian Byzantine style with a square design, a domed roof hung by wires from a metal frame and an octagonal 90 foot tower over the main entrance. There are two other towers with domes rising 50 feet. The building is faced in striking white faience. The sanctuary is in the shape of a Greek cross and can seat 500. There are beautiful stained glass windows by Luke Walmsley. The hall, vestry, parlour, toilets and upstairs rooms are an integral part of the design.
In January 2014 a major problem with water ingress was identified which caused significant damage to the fabric of the building. Dry rot occurred on the south elevation where water entered and badly damaged the first floor meeting room. Dry rot spores developed which attacked the timbers in this room and the adjacent room, the Junior Church room below and the cellar below that. The main entrance porch was also badly damaged by water ingress. Following advice by our Heritage Surveyor the areas of dry rot have been exposed and ventilated.