The first view one has of the village is that of the tower of the greenstone church of St Margaret with its dominating red clock. Created in 1787 by horologist Edmund Howard, the long drop clock is truly a remarkable piece of engineering.
Outwardly the church is impressive in size by comparison to many in the surrounding villages. The tower still has its Norman base and two Norman doorways. Step inside and you will find remnants of medieval architecture in the shape of arcades and the Early English nave. More intriguing is one particular pillar base which may well be Saxon.
The Bishops chair was carved from a beam from Tattershall Castle, 13 miles away. Under the chancel is the Newcastle family vault, which was their place of burial until 1820, prior to the disposal of their Baumber estates. There are church inscriptions to Francis, the grandson of Henry Clinton, Earl of Lincoln, who died in 1681, and Priscilla his wife who died in 1679. An incised stone slab to John Eland (or Ealand), who died in 1463 or 1473, and his two wives, lies against the west wall of the north aisle. A lead coffin found in the churchyard is included in a list of Roman coffins found in or near Horncastle.