This delightful church is dedicated to St Alkmund, a prince of the Royal house of the Kingdom of Northumbria, born in about 770.
This Early English church does retain its 13th century tower and west doorway though the rest was rebuilt in 1797 and then further renovations were carried out in 1870 by Victorian architect James Fowler. Few original features survive from the medieval period other than those associated with the tower. But there is an interesting 19th century reredos by AB Skipwith, and a copper gilt relief of the crucifixion by Conrad Dressler. The organ was originally built by Benjamin Flight and was purchased in 1935 from the Wesleyan Chapel in Kirton in Lindsey. It has recently been restored. In 1821 the village only has 24 houses and a total of 141 inhabitants, but although small in size the village does have a long history. Listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Graingeham the village has further evidence of its medieval past in the form of earthworks, ditches, boundaries and ridge and furrow. There's also the possibility of a Bronze Age barrow and an inhumation complete with a necklace of amber beads was also found, suspected Anglo Saxon in date.