Cotswold church in a rural setting with ancient features.
The medieval church which was then demolished lay slightly further to the West. The nave has a tunnel vault with ornamental panelled plasterwork and classical four bay arcades and aisles with four small saucer domes. The chancel and apse were added in 1875 to accommodate the enormous monument by Grinling Gibbons which was moved here from St George's Chapel, Windsor.
The Grinling Gibbons monument on the north side of the chancel consist of an effigy of the first Duke of Beaufort (d1700), in Garter robes, reclining on a sarcophagus and a plinth with relief of St George and the Dragon. There are twin Corinthian columns with embossed shafts, acanthus frieze, cornice with flaming urns, and the Duke's arms and supporters. At the top, 25ft from the ground, is a tasseled cushion supporting a coronet; on the plinth are full length female figures of Justice and Truth. Above the Duke's effigy, parted curtains show the heavenly host with palms and crowns. The Latin inscription displays the names of his family and his many high offices.
At the east end of north aisle there is a splendid monument by Rysbrack, signed and dated 1754. The second and third Dukes are in Roman costume, one standing, the other seated on the sarcophagus holding a medallion. Glorious, totally asymmetrical drapery hangs down over the sarcophagus.
At the east end of the South aisle is another monument by Rysbrack to the 4th Duke of Beaufort. It depicts him in Roman costume in the pose of an orator.
In the south aisle is a memorial tablet to General Lord Edward Somerset GCB, son of the 5th Duke of Beaufort. He commanded the Household Cavalry at the Battle of Waterloo and fought during the Peninsular War. Also in the south aisle is a memorial tablet to Field Marshal Lord Fitzroy Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan, youngest son of the 5th Duke of Beaufort. Lord Raglan is best remembered as the Commander of the British Forces during the Crimean War. His body lies in the vault beneath the church.