It is believed the first parish church of Skegness was built in 1280, but this was destroyed in the flood of 1526.
The location was fine when the fastest vehicle was horse drawn, today getting to church can be more intrepid than Lord Scarborough intended!
St Matthew’s was built in the 1880s in the Victorian age. It is a Grade II listed building of the early English style and built with Ancaster stone.
It followed the Gothic style but due to unsuitable foundations, a bell tower could not be included. And so a west turret was added which today houses the peal of six bells.
The organ, built by Rushworth and Draper is recognised as one of the best in the country and has recently had extensive repairs.
On a sunny day the church is bathed in colour from its stained glass windows, which include one by Comper that depicts St Francis of Assisi. A small strawberry is hidden in the glass and visitors are challenged to spot it! The east windows are memorials to the 9th and 10th Earls of Scarborough and date from 1948, replacing others that were war damaged.