Anthony Catesby himself owned the Manor at Whiston and he built his new church adjacent to his house at the top of the hill.
The most striking element is perhaps the iron and limestone striped tower which can be seen from miles around. This abuts the open airy nave with a roof decorated with both the Catesby Shield and their family symbol, a cat.
The church has it's original font and benches. It is all of the highest quality which suggests a master architect probably London based.
The most surprising thing about the church though is its date. It was built contemporaneously with the English Reformation. Later the estate here came to the Irby family. The Lords Boston, whose tombs, particularly a handsome one by Nollekens, are to be found here alongside that of Thomas Catesby by William Woodman, 1700.