A romantic church that stands alone, shorn of its former medieval village, looking out across the Capability Brown landscape of 1760’s toward Fawsley Hall, the seat of the Knightley family and now a country hotel.
The nave, chancel, north and south aisles date from the early 14th century.
There are five bays with four octagonal marlstone pillars to each arcade. The outline of a steep pitch earlier roof is clear on the chancel wall. The clerestory with its ten extraordinarily closely set straight-headed two light windows in pale grey sandstone was added in the 15th century, topped with a shallow pitch roof on simple tie beams with blocks to the ridge timber. The west tower was re-built in two stages of ashlar ironstone with arched windows and bell openings which have flat bands of Y tracery in 1707 probably by Smith of Warwick after collapsing in 1703. A major restoration of walls and the interior took place by EF Law & Son in the late 19th century. The north aisle was continued eastwards to form a vestry and organ bay opening into the chancel. Some pillars were underpinned, new pew platforms and pews were installed throughout and the font had a new matching bowl added to its 15th century octagonal sample book pedestal. Internal wall plastering was removed. The north aisle and chancel walls are mainly of coursed ironstone. The south aisle is built of uncoursed rubblestone.
The 16th century ironstone porch has a high pitched tiled roof which stands higher than the south aisle roof. In 2018 the floor slabs were found to be laid directly on the damaged top layer of skeletons. Most of the window glass is Victorian, except one chancel window of 1957 and a north aisle window that was reformed in 1982 to better display several pieces of medieval glass. A servery and toilet were added as a ‘north porch’ in the late 20th century using part of a foundation from an earlier vestry. In 2018 rotting pew platforms were repaired, a flat rear platform installed, the font moved further eastwards in the south aisle, the entrance made stepless and a new soak away dug for the roof rainwater.
There are four tombs in the closed churchyard which are separately listed as Grade II.