A hauntingly romantic landmark for sailors.
Sefton church was founded in 1170 by the Molyneux family, the local landowners. There is no trace of the original church beyond a few carved fragments. The tower and steeple and part of the north aisle remain from a 14th century reconstruction. The bulk of the church; chancel, nave, aisles and porch date from the early 16th century.
There was major restoration work in the 19th century and particularly in the early 20th century. The latter work was undertaken by the noted church architect, William Caroe and this included a fine carved ceiling, restoration of the rood screen and a new choir vestry.
The church contains some of the finest Tudor furnishings anywhere in the country with a set of elaborately carved screens, choir stalls and pews. There is a wealth of monuments ranging from 16th century brasses of the Molyneux family to the neoclassical memorial to William Blundell of 1807.