This Georgian church and its bucolic setting hasn’t changed significantly since it was shown in Turner’s view from Richmond Hill of 1820.
Dedicated to a 14th century queen consort of Portugal, it claims to be oldest standing Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Southwark. The church dates from the 1790s.
The present building in yellow and red brick, which is Grade II listed and dates from 1824, was the gift of Elizabeth Doughty. It was designed by Thomas Hardwick. A gallery was added in 1851. The chancel, presbytery and tower were rebuilt in 1903 according to plans drawn up by the architect Frederick Walters. The representations of the Stations of the Cross around the nave were designed by Don Pavey in the 1950s and painted by Jo Ledger.
Famous worshippers at the church include exKing Manoel II of Portugal in the early 20th century.
Marriages at the church include Phil Lynott, rock musician, married Caroline Crowther, daughter of British comedian Leslie Crowther in 1980. Barbara Dickson, singer songwriter and actress, married Oliver Cookson, TV producer, in 1984. Phil Lynott's funeral was also held in the church in 1986.