There has been a church here since Saxon time. It was, back then, almost certainly a wooden structure, all traces of which have long gone, replaced in the 12th century by a stone building. The arch over the south door is possibly the sole remaining feature from this time.
A fine west doorway bears the arms of the Felbriggs and Sampson (Lords of Rushmere) families, completed in 1538 with bequests of the Cadye family (related to Cardinal Wolsey). This contribution was commemorated in a stained glass window. A Victorian carving on one of the west end benchends is of an angel carrying the 16th century tower, which the Sampson-Felbriggs families gave with their arms on the poppy head bench ends.
In 1861 a rebuild was made possible with the support of the Marquis of Bristol. EC Hakewill (1812-1872) was appointed as architect. The Marquis of Bristol is commemorated on a west end benchend, a carving of an angel carrying the 19th century chancel given with his arms on the poppy head. Hakewill rebuilt the nave and chancel on the medieval foundations, retaining the Norman south doorway but removing the south porch. The stone carving including the St Andrew's crosses with central IHS on the two bay arcade and on the Norman style font are the work of J Frewer of Ipswich.
Fine Gothic style windows were made by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. Interior; Hakewill designed benches with benchends modelled on 15th century examples, these being exquisitely carved by William Polley of Coggeshall, Essex. These features remain except for the east wall and window which were removed for the 1968 extension. Some of the carved figures rescued from the 15th century bench ends were reused by Polley; these may be seen on the ends of the benches in the north aisle. In 1882 an organ chamber was built on the north side of the chancel. The organ was built and installed by JD Dixon of Cambridge and housed in a fine wooden case made by Ernest Barnes of Ipswich.