The site upon which this little church is built has been holy ground for some 1400 years and it is known that around 550AD Saint Mevan and Saint Issey busied themselves in this neighbourhood organising the early Celtic church.
Up at the top of the Luney River valley, just off the turn down to Mevagissey, All Saints hides in the hamlet of St Ewe. With palm trees framing the front door, and the St Ewe camellia (flowering November), the tranquil churchyard looks out over fields, to welcome, most Augusts, the St Ewe Country Fair. Revd Hugh Atwill, buried naked having willed his grave shroud to the poor, has his tomb outside.
The rood screen, now across the entrance to the chancel with its charming carved bestiary, remains from having been hurriedly hidden when Cromwell's soldiers came. Now look to the left, to the left of the vestry door: Tell us, what is the Biblical scene here depicted? Now go through the red curtains into the bell tower (please don't touch the ropes!). Does it feel like being at the bottom of a well? The tower supports all these ferns and greenery because the south and west wind has penetrated the double stone walls and saturated the inside. We'll be glad if we can get rid of this interesting feature.
Our Celtic saint, Ewe or Tua may have founded her community here, due to a miraculous well almost at the top of a hill. It is still there, along the path to the left before the main door. The church has two moats, one around south, west, and north sides. The other leading away from the well. The saint's name lives on in neighbouring farms: Lanewa, Trelewack.
There is a 1630 seating plan and family coats of arms for the prominent Mohun and Tremayne families. Also a burial register and map for our earliest recorded burials starting in the 1720s , for the older part of the churchyard. If you have any connection to the parish, please let us know, as we are compiling a families history of the parish. There are guides, long and short for sale.