A hermitage or small monastic settlement may have existed at Nun Monkton during the Anglian period in Northumbria, prior to the arrival of the Vikings, giving rise to the 'Monkton' part of the village's name.
All Saints, which is open from dawn to dusk each day, stands at the heart of the lovely village of Newton on Ouse, just north of York. Access is via the approach road to the National Trust property Beningbrough Hall on Cherry Tree Avenue. An abundance of cherry blossom surrounds the church in April/May and enhances it's position on the banks of the River Ouse.
There has been a church here since Saxon times. The spire is built on top of the very much older tower, which is the only remaining part of the church built nine hundred years ago. The current Grade II listed building dates from 1849. The white spire is a local landmark, visible for miles around.
Due to our proximity to RAF Linton on Ouse there is a War Graves section in the churchyard where servicemen both British and International are buried. As a result we receive visitors from all over the world tracing their family history or simply paying their respects. The building itself played an important part in the war when returning pilots relied on the tall spire as a navigation aid.
The church also has strong historical links to Beningbrough Hall, which stands in close proximity to the church. There are three funerary brasses to members of the Bourchier family who owned the Hall between1556-1768. Ownership then passed to the Earles and a window in the Chancel, in memory of Margaret Earle nee Bourchier (died 1827) uses a design based on the Bourchier knot. It was after her death that ownership of the Hall passed to the Dawnay family and it was father and daughter William and Lydia Dawnay who were responsible for the two most recent designs of the church. A funerary brass for William Dawnay, the sixth Viscount Downe, an incumbent of the Parish, and his wife, can be found in the chancel.