Next Deadline : TBC - our final 2022 round has now closed. Applications will resume in 2023, dates TBC
Decision Date : November 2022
Grant Size : £3,000 to £10,000
Works Cost : Up to £100,000 (incl VAT and fees)
The Gateway Grant Programme offers our medium sized grants of between £3,000 and £10,000 towards project development and investigative work up to RIBA planning stage 1, to support churches preparing for a major project, and in developing their project to the point at which they can approach a major grant funder. Grants will never exceed 50% of the net project costs for this phase.
The Gateway Grant Programme is also now able to offer grants of between £3,000 and £10,000 for urgent and essential maintenance and repair projects costing between £10,000 and £100,000. Grants will never exceed 50% of the net project costs.
Please watch our video to find out more about our Gateway Grants Programme
We will consider applications from listed and unlisted Christian places of worship, of any denomination, across the UK. We continue to encourage applications from our priority areas : North East England, Northern Ireland and Wales, this is not to the exclusion of churches in other areas.
The application process begins with an eligibility quiz. If you cannot answer yes to each question your application will not be successful.
The questions include:
- Is yours a Christian place of worship (but not a cathedral) within the UK, and open for at least six services of public worship each year?
- Do you own the building or have the right to carry out the work? If the church is not part of a major denomination then is the denomination registered with Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, or has it got charitable status?
- Was your place of worship built as a place of worship originally and is it more than 30 years old? And are the works that this phase will inform, be either directly to the building or attached to it?
- Is the building open to the public for a minimum of 100 days a year beyond worship use?
- Have you already raised at least 50% of this phase of the total project cost?
- Is the project yet to start (we don't accept applications for projects that have already started)?
- Are two quotes in place for each element of the work in this application?
- If already appointed - is the project being led by a qualified professional, with conservation accreditation from a recognised institution if it is a listed building? (please review the guidance note for more detail)
Before applying be sure to first read the Guidance notes below. The guidance contains notes on the scoring criteria, advice on completing the application form, a list of supporting documents that will be required from you, and details of the terms and conditions of any grant award made etc.
Please read these documents in full before applying. ** PLEASE NOTE THIS PROGRAMME IS CURRENTLY CLOSED **
The Gateway Grant Programme also offers grants of between £3,000 and £10,000 to local churches trusts to fund projects that support organisational development, increase their capacity to churches in their area or that deliver new ways of supporting churches in their area. Before applying please read the Guidance Note below:
Expressions of interest must first be submitted to email@example.com
Selected projects will then be advised of the next steps and invited to work up a submission to be entered via our online portal. Any questions should be directed to Nigel Mills firstname.lastname@example.org.
Decisions on all grant applications are made by our Grants Committee, comprised of experts from the church and heritage sectors, which meets three times a year. Decisions can not be amended between meetings.
Unfortunately the amount of funding available is limited. Therefore we sadly cannot guarantee your success, and can only offer grants towards a small proportion of the many deserving projects which we are asked to support each round. We strongly encourage you to apply for as many other grants as possible and to start local fundraising as early as you can. For more funding sources and fundraising advice please click here.
Ready to apply?
Before starting your application, make sure you have read the guidance notes for your grant and that you meet the eligibility criteria for churches. ** PLEASE NOTE THIS PROGRAMME IS CURRENTLY CLOSED **Application form