The church is a wonderful example of 1930s church architecture, of traditional and Art Deco construction.
There was no other place of worship in that vast moorland parish embracing Denby and villagers had to walk or travel in carts to Penistone. In 1626 13 parishioners were drowned trying to cross the waters of Scout Dyke on their way to Penistone church and the villagers applied for a licence from the Archbishop of York, Tobias Matthew to build a chapel in Denby itself.
There are many things to see in and around this lovely church including: the tower and nave of the original 1627 church, a bell donated 1678 by Lady Mary Beaumont of Denby Hall, gallery, barrel roof, crossed rafter roof, pews, organ, chancel and memorial tablets. The family history registers date back to the mid 1800’s and can be viewed by prior request.