Denby was a Danish settlement dating back to the 9th century and mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The church is not a listed building. It replaced one of wood and corrugated iron which was dedicated by Bishop How, the first Bishop of Wakefield on 27th May 1893. The new church was consecrated on 15th June 1939.
The building, which is of stone from Rastrick, Brighouse, was designed by H Erskine Hill of Fox & Hill of Dewsbury. It was built by Beever & Sons of Ingbirchworth at a cost of £7000. The site was given by JF Kitson Esq, and many generous gifts were made by local people and other friends towards the construction and interior fuirnishings. The organ was supplied by Conacher & So of Huddersfield.
The unusual lights are made of carved wood chandeliers, with a small decorated shield on each corner. The lectern is a beautifully carved eagle, made by a local craftsman. The pulpit is also a fine example of wood carving. There is one stained glass window, depicting St Hilda.
The beautiful hanging behind the altar is of Christ our Light, and was the result of congregational teamwork led by the minister’s wife at the time.