The church is the third to have stood on this site and dates from 1876.
It was rooted in Christianity, but its founder George Fox and other early Friends rejected creeds and church teachings. They believed in a personal faith, not needing a priest as intermediary, and available to all regardless of whether or not they had even heard of Jesus.
By the early 1650s, meetings were certainly being held in the barn. Much of the back wall of this building stands on the original barn’s walls. The hamlet, which had already acquired its local name ‘Quaker Bottom’, expanded as the local Quaker farmers extended their interests in various trades such as milling, tanning and iron founding.
The Meeting House is a wonderful place to visit, with lots to see and learn.