The largest church in England’s smallest county.
Near to Egleton Bird Reserve and on the cyclist/walkers’ path around Rutland Water, St Edmund’s has been a small, tranquil place of prayer and rest for nearly 1000 years.
From the outside the church illustrates centuries of change. The south wall dating from 12th century, the base of the tower from the 14th century and the spire added in the 18th century. Once there was a north aisle which was demolished and the arcade infilled.
The entrance to this mysterious church is crowned by a Norman tympanum with its enigmatic carvings including a winged dragon, lion and other beasts. Immediately inside is a square, Norman font decorated with a Calvary cross and geometric patterns. Looking to the chancel the plain Norman arch is supported by beaded chevron pillars with foliated capitals and looking up, the original roof corbels are carved creatures all except for one human face.
Other features include a part of the 15th century rood screen resited at the rear of the church together with some 16th century bench ends with carved poppy heads displaying Tudor roses. The arms of George 111 are portrayed in a wall painting above the chancel arch. Returning outside, there are numerous scratch dials on the church walls particularly near the low chancel door.