The land on which St Peter’s sits was bought in 1858 by the local squire to erect a chapel of ease. It was built by a local builder with stone from Swanage, in Dorset. In 1907 the church was consecrated, and became a separate parish. It was gradually extended, with the addition of choir stalls and a rood screen. In 1921 the Lady Chapel and south aisle were completed as a memorial to the men from Seaview who lost their lives in the Second World War. In the late 1960s, a choir vestry, sacristy and flower vestry were added.
The National Churches Trust’s £10,000 Community Grant is funding a project to install much-needed community facilities at St Peter’s church. Adding toilets, a kitchen, and meeting rooms will enable the church to open up its space in the centre of the community. The church’s current meeting space is upstairs, with poor disabled access, so the new space will be a very welcome addition.