St Paul's is the first of the post WWII New Town churches built in 1957, and opened 1959. Designed by Humphrys and Hurst, ecclesiastical specialists who designed a particularly lavish church as the 'mother church' of the new town. The quality of the internal fixtures and fittings, the completeness of the ensemble and the sympathetic composition they form with John Piper's large mosaic “Risen Christ at Emmaus”, his first completed church work, makes this an exceptional church.
This grant will help pay for condition surveys of the fabric, and associated professional services to identify the scope and cost of refurbishment and development work. Many areas of fabric and building services are failing, in particular lumps are spalling off the pre-cast reinforced concrete elements of the building and the decorative bricks of the terraces have crumbled.