The village of Shardlow is located on the Trent & Mersey canal where it meets with the River Trent. Shardlow developed rapidly following the opening of the canal in 1777 and was transformed from a small hamlet into a busy port with a plethora of basin, wharf and warehouse developments. It is a rare surviving example of an inland river and canal port. Lying within the Shardlow Conservation Area, St. James' Church (designed by Stevens of Derby) was built in the 1830s to serve the expanding village. With its box-pews, tall pulpit, wall-mounted memorials and stained-glass windows, it is a notable example of early Victorian architecture.
The grant will help fund a project consisting of urgent repairs to the stonework and roof that will protect the building from decay through water ingress and stonework deterioration.
Top tips from completed project feedback: