The parish church of Hyde, Winchester. It sits outside the old city walls and was built to serve the tenants and lay officials of the adjacent Hyde Abbey (established 1110, dissolved and demolished 1539 and the last known resting place of King Alfred). The church was extended in 1541 when the tower was built using stones from the abbey. In the C19th, the chancel was rebuilt and the rest of the church restored to serve a growing parish.
In order to serve the needs of the congregation and all who use the church, the following is required: (1) Improve WC facility to resolve serious damp issues and to meet H&S and DDA requirements. Current condition is grim (avoid if possible!). The WC is not easily accessed by disabled users and is inaccessible for wheelchairs. The need to improve the WC and its access has driven the rest of the project. (2) Provide a tea-point within the tower area at the west end of the church for making simple refreshments for people after services, concerts and other events. (3) Re-order 2 front nave pews to improve access and use of front space for worship and concerts. (4) New cupboards to be built behind cross-aisle pews to provide much-needed space for more secure and tidier storage and with a surface for displaying items of church publicity. (5) Widen external path to disabled access door on west side of church. The path is currently non-compliant, being too narrow for a wheelchair user to negotiate unaided without risk of getting stuck in grass/mud at the sides.