St Breward is a Cornish parish high up on the western edge of Bodmin Moor with some of the highest ground in Cornwall.
The church, built in Norman times, was largely rebuilt in the 15th century and stands in a round Celtic churchyard. It is dedicated to St Tudy, a 6th century monk who came to Cornwall from Brittany, and was probably founded by one of his followers. In the south aisle there is a pre Norman copestone with carving upon it which may have originally covered the grave of a chieftain.
Much of the flooring consists of old slate tombstones, some of Delabole slate.
Monuments include fine slate carvings of kneeling effigies of the Nicholl and Reskymer families. William Bligh of ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’ fame was born nearby.
A monument in the south aisle commemorates the family of Anthony Nicholl who was a Cromwellian imprisoned for opposing the execution of Charles I, but who nevertheless later became Master of the Armouries in the Tower.
There is a monument to Admiral Sir Richard Onslow who was Nelson’s second in command at the Battle of Camperdown in 1797, and another to Admiral William Bligh, whose family lived at Tinten in this parish. More recently, Lord George, the governor of the Bank of England lived here and is commemorated by a plaque.
The Lady Chapel contains a memorial to Margery Lower, of Tremeer in St Tudy. Her husband, Humphrey, was a friend of George Fox, the Quaker, and their son Richard was physician to Charles II and one of the first experimenters with blood transfusion.
The organ dates from 1892 and was restored in 2006 by David Gridley of Penzance, combining the original Brewer organ, and the Hill, Norman and Beard organ from St Francis, Solihull. It is used regularly for recitals. The tower contains six bells and has an active team of ringers. The oak pulpit is Victorian. Above it is evidence of a former rood screen. Further details are to be found in the links below, and in the official church guide.