An impressive survivor of a deserted medieval settlement and lovingly restored in the late 19th century.
The church of St Peter is built of sandstone and dates from around 1396. The architecture is mainly of the Decorated period with Early English and Perpendicular additions. The church, during various periods of restorations, has been reduced to about a quarter of its original size. At one time there were two chapels and the sanctuary extended much further on the east side.
The pulpit is a richly carved example of Jacobean work and the carved oak chancel screen is also impressive.
The church and vicarage were valued in ‘The Kings Book’ (valuations made for Henry VIII in 1535) at £20.19s.4d and again in 1856 at £313.