Here the local population did well to rebuild their church after a great storm destroyed much of it in 1821. The local architect Charles Squirhill replaced the main body of the church with a Georgian box and the side chapels and chancel were cleverly restored. Only the tower, which dates from around 1200, remains unscathed.
There is much to enjoy here especially as the fittings are so good. Particularly spectacular is the beautifully carved pulpit with one of the largest and highest sounding boards from 1702. A brilliant and exuberant example of English Baroque. The walls are covered in good sculptured monuments mainly of the Bernard and Thursby families who lived at nearby Abington Hall, now an outstation of Northampton Art Gallery.
Many of the monuments are by members of the Cox family who were the most significant of 18th century Northampton sculptors. Good high church work around the altar carried out by Matthew Holding in late 19th century and a fine window designed by John Piper in the north chapel. The church reflects the development of Abington village into part of greater Northampton.