The creation of this outstanding late Victorian Gothic church was made possible by its patron the local brewer Pickering Phipps, the local architect Matthew Henry Holding and its first incumbent the Revd JR Hussey.
The church went up remarkably quickly between 1893-5, and with its fine tower topped by a steeple it remains a significant landmark in this part of the town.
Internally it was well furnished with an alabaster font and pulpit by Aumonier, a reredos by Nathaniel Hitch, an iron work screen by GR de Wilde, and stained glass by Clayton & Bell.
Into this comparatively new soaring space were introduced, by the vicar's son two mid 20th century masterpieces.
There is a Madonna (or mother and child) by Henry Moore, 1944. This deeply moving Horton stone sculpture can be found in the north transept. Opposite, in the south transept, you will see Graham Sutherland's Crucifixion, 1946. The Stations of the Cross are by David Thomas, the hanging figure of Christ by Malcolm Pollard; the bronze of St Matthew, 2009, is by Ian Rank-Broadley.