Clearwell Cemetery (Mortuary) Chapel was designed by the renowned Gothic Revival architect John Middleton, and was opened in 1867.
In a lovely position, next to Clearwell Castle, St Peter's church was commissioned by the Dowager Countess of Dunraven after her return to Clearwell Court in 1855. She wanted to build a church which was fitting for the village.
From 1863 plans were drawn up with the architect, John Middleton, land was acquired and the church was built. It replaced an older church (1828) on the site of the Cemetery Chapel in Clearwell. St Peter's was consecrated on April 5th 1866 and people have worshipped here ever since.
The church is a fine example of mid 19th century 'French Gothic' style. It is elaborately decorated with rich stone carvings, coloured stonework and a wonderfully stencilled roof. The stained glass windows in the the chancel are by Hardman, whose work can also be seen in the houses of Parliament, and the ornate organ was built by Telford of Dublin, considered to be Ireland's master organ builder.
The church stands within its own churchyard, which has an impressive avenue of yew trees and its proximity to Clearwell Castle contributes to its popularity for weddings.