This beautiful church is to be found in the historic village of Clearwell in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire.
The building of the Cemetery Chapel in Clearwell was commissioned by Dowager Duchess Caroline Dunraven in 1867. She engaged the renowned Gothic Revival architect, John Middleton, to remodel her estate at Clearwell Court and then used his services again to build St Peter's church, 'a more fitting church for the village', which is a fine example of the Gothic Revival Style. The church was dedicated in 1866 and replaced an older church which stood on the site of the Cemetery Chapel.
The chapel has a magnificent rose window, sadly now in such a dangerous condition that no public access is allowed. The cemetery itself is still in use and is in a wonderful, peaceful location. Clearwell has been designated 'John Middleton Village' since it has the largest collection of his work in one place in the UK.