‘A Cathedral of Congregationalism’.
Built with a grant from the 1818 ‘Million Act’ this is a distinctive ‘Waterloo’ or ‘Commissioners’ church.
The interior was originally plain with box pews and with galleries to north, west and south.
The church was renovated in 1870’s with oak pews, west and north east galleries removed, the organ moved to the present position and a chancel, pulpit and Caen stone screen added.
The church was further reordered in about 1970 to create a Narthex with toilet facilities under the staircases and a kitchen. A nave altar on a stone pavement in front of the chancel and baptistery in place of the southeast corner Lady Chapel were made.