The origins of Upper Chapel begin in 1630 with a building erected by Anglicans and Presbyterians followed by the appointment in 1660 of the first Congregational Minister.
This lovely painted tongue and groove church was originally built in Great Warley, Essex in 1892. The Rector, Revd HR Bailey, arranged for it to be moved to Baildon where he had land and intended to retire. He died in 1900 before his retirement, but according to his wishes the church was still erected in Baildon in 1904.
In 2007/2008 the church was moved again, but only by a few yards. Rotten timbers were replaced and underground heat pump system installed to make the building more eco friendly. At the same time the church created a garden around the building, containing many plants and trees mentioned in the bible such as palm, fig, olive and a Cedar of Lebanon. There is also a wildflower meadow and a water feature representing the Jordan Valley, with different pools symbolising the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea.