Set in the grounds of Etal Manor, this church designed by William Butterfield was built 1856-58 by Lady Augusta FitzClarence as a burial place for her husband Lord Frederick, one of the illegitimate sons of King William IV.
Present church 12th century, but much longer Christian presence in the area, possibly going back to the earliest days of Paulinus Glendale mission and the later Lindisfarne mission.
Small and very beautiful church in a glorious setting. This is rural and unspoilt England at its best. Visitors comment on the peace they find in our church.
In 1513 the biggest Scots army ever to invade England was defeated in Branxton and the church was at the heart of the battlefield. Many visitors come to walk the battlefield and visit our church as one of the Flodden eco museum sites.