Set in the grounds of Etal Manor, this church designed by William Butterfield was built 1856-58 by Lady Augusta FitzClarence as a burial place for her husband Lord Frederick, one of the illegitimate sons of King William IV.
The west wall and the arcading of the south aisle are original. most of the remainder belongs to the well executed 19th century restoration and enlargement (north aisle) by the renowned Newcastle architect John Dobson. There is an unusual grave slab with bagpipes on it by the west wall close to the entrance door. Among the stained glass windows are two of particular interest. In the churchyard is the grave of Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford (the reredos is a memorial) who lived at Ford Castle during much of the 19th century and had the Lady Waterford Hall built (as the village school) and painted the murals of biblical stories to instruct the children.