The first documentary reference to Averham church occurs in Domesday and the tower and the tower appears to be pre Conquest. The chancel has Early English windows, probably dating from mid to late 13th century whilst elements remain from the 14th and 15th centuries. Revd Joseph Walker, vicar from 1907-1942, took the unusual step of constructing a theatre, The Robin Hood, in the rectory garden which still exists.
Usually ranked among the very best parish churches of England, St Mary's dominates town and country with its immensely tall 14th century spire of Lincolnshire limestone.
The tiny rural village of Hawton might seem a surprising place to find an astonishing gallery of medieval carvings in stone, but its handsome and unspoilt church is just that.