St Nicholas church is a beautiful 15th century building set in Sheffield's Peak District, with many interesting features: glass, stonework, and woodwork.
Throughout the 18th century, the chapel was extended with the addition of a gallery, rood loft and bells. This chapel was in such a bad state of repair by 1790 that it was demolished and replaced with a new church in 1791. It was again replaced in 1872 and built in stages, completed in 1879. The foundation stone was laid by the then Lord of the Manor, Rimington Wilson. He also donated the stained glass windows for the east and south walls.
The lychgate was erected in 1897 to mark the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria and a war memorial nearby was added in 1921 to commemorate the people of the parish who were killed in conflicts of the 20th century. The graveyard also contains two large rectangular stones of unknown origin, these are known as the Bolster Stones.