One of only four medieval parish churches within the city of Birmingham, standing in the old village centre which is now a conservation area.
The church was founded in 1912, and from 1915 met in a temporary church on Bunbury Road near the junction with Woodlands Park Road. It relocated to a new building on the current site in April 1937. The Bunbury Road temporary structure was also moved to the same site. The main building was redeveloped in 1972, a new sanctuary was added, the former sanctuary being converted to a hall. In partnership with the Baptist Housing Association, the Ash Grove sheltered housing development was added in 1986. A further redevelopment in 2005-6 added a new foyer, extended the main building to link with Ash Grove, and added a community restaurant and upgraded kitchen to serve the residents next door. The church has hosted a wide range of organisations over the years including Sunday School (1931+), Boys' Brigade (1932+), Girls' Life Brigade/Girls' Brigade (1933+), Luncheon Club (1970+), Play Group (1972-2003), Northfield Churches Furniture Project (1992-2002), Stage Fright drama group (2008+), Northfield Arts Forum and Northfield Food Service (2020+).