The Cathedral sits on a site of Christian worship stretching back to the late 6th century. Construction was started in the mid 13th century but the building was only complete for around 100 years when the Reformation led to serious damage. The choir was restored after the Reformation and continues to be used as the parish church today. Building work starts on the exterior of the eastern part of the Cathedral in the mid 13th century and was finished in the time of Bishop William Sinclair (1309-1337). The last part of the building constructed was the tower, started by Bishop Lauder (1452-75) and finished by Bishop Livingston (1475-83).The lower part of the tower was used as a court house and its walls have paintings of the judgement of Solomon and the woman taken in adultery, still faintly visible high up on the walls. Now, the choir end of the cathedral is used as a parish church as it has been since the Reformation. Regularly, visitors comment on the sense of peace and prayer in the grounds and within the walls of the Cathedral and worshipping here gives a real sense of belonging to a long heritage of faith and being part of centuries of prayer which local Christians still carry on in this place.