Perth Cathedral was the first to be built in Britain after the Reformation and stands on ground that originally formed part of the Blackfriars Monastery and is dedicated to St Ninian, the first name we know in the Christian history of Scotland.
The present church dates from 1632, though the site has been a place of worship from the Middle Ages onwards. The church was remodelled and enlarged in 1789 to designs by James Scobie, made T-plan in 1808 and the interior refurnished in 1874. The present interior is little altered since that date. The graveyard contains many monuments of interest, in particular the exceptional memorial to James Ritchie, displaying his curling equipment and the recumbent figure of his bull.
In the care of Historic Churches Scotland.