Built on a site given by John Dawes, a local landlord and benefactor, Christ Church was completed and consecrated in 1848. Christ Church was originally built as a preaching church in a cruciform shape with short chancel, transepts, and nave. There is a framed invitation to the opening ceremony in the Fellowship Room at the back of the church, which shows the shorter nave and the original west entrance as seen from Highbury Fields. In 1872 the west front was demolished, and the building extended by two bays exactly matching the style of the original to the design of Williams and Crouch.
The interior is notable for the apsidal sanctuary with blank arcading resting on triple colonnettes, the spandrels filled with foliage carving and emblems of the evangelists. The choir of one bay opens into the central octagon, the arcade of which is formed of octagonal columns carrying multi-moulded pointed arches. The roof is in timber with arched braces rising from wall shafts, the corbels carved with angels and foliage; this arrangement runs throughout the church.
We are a diverse congregation of approximately 300 adults and 100 children with strong lay leadership support. Our motto is 'roots down, branches out' reflecting our desire to mature in faith, not as an end in itself, but in order to reach out and engage our communities with the love of Christ. Please see our website for details.