SussexBALCOMBEStMary(andyscottCC-BY-SA4.0)1 AndyScott

St Mary

There has been a church on this site since 1090 and St Mary's hosted Princess Elizabeth, now Her Majesty the Queen, as a bridesmaid in 1931.

Balcombe, Sussex

Opening times

The church is open Sundays and Thursdays, 10am to 3pm.

Address

London Road
Balcombe
Sussex
RH17 6PX

There was a church on this site by 1090 with the current St Mary's dating back to the late 13th/early 14th century (south aisle and Resurrection Chapel). The bell tower was built in the 15th century, with the nave and north aisles being built during the Victorian era. The bell tower hosts a ring of eight bells, three of which date to 1614. The Grade I listed church is built of local Paddockhurst sandstone from the same quarry.

There is a brass list of the rectors of the church dating to 1333. The large west window in the nave (illustrated) is in memory of George and Fanny Amilia Meek, of Brantridge, who died on December 8th and 13th 1874 respectively. He was High Sheriff of Sussex who caught a fever at Lewes Assizes, of which he and his wife both died. It depicts the arrival of the kings.

In the front pew of the north side of the nave is a brass plaque marking the spot where Queen Mary sat at the wedding of her neice, Lady May Cambridge to Captain Henry Abel Smith on 24 October 1931. Princess Elizabeth, now Her Majesty the Queen, was a bridesmaid and the wedding was attended by member of the Royal family and foreign royalty.

  • Enchanting atmosphere

  • National heritage here

  • Car park at church

  • Level access to the main areas

  • Sunday: Holy Communion 8am/ Parish Eucharist or Family Service 10am.

  • Church of England

Contact information

Other nearby churches

Worth Abbey

Turners Hill, Sussex

An Abbey church, the centre of the daily worship of an active Benedictine monastery.

All Saints

Highbrook, Sussex

All Saints is a beautiful rural parish church in Sussex.

St Margaret of Antioch

West Hoathly, Sussex

A beautiful church in the centre of West Hoathly village, with stunning stained glass windows.